7 ways to get fit in Vancouver this spring!
As one of the healthiest ranked cities in Canada, Vancouver is a great place to work on your fitness this Spring/Summer. With tons of outdoor activities, community events, and fitness studios the choices are endless. We narrowed down our top 7 ways to get fit in Vancouver this Spring/Summer!
1. Running! Put on those sneakers and get outside! Running is a great way to explore the city while getting in shape. Vancouverites are fortunate to have many popular running routes to choose from. Switch up your routes every few weeks to keep your training fresh! Top choices include the Seawall - the world’s longest uninterrupted waterfront path - which can take you from Olympic Village to Stanley Park! For a nature route, check out Pacific Spirit Regional Park in Point Grey or Lynn Headwaters Regional Park in North Vancouver.
2. Biking! Like running, biking is a great way to keep you fit and active. If you do not have a bike, there are tons of rentals including Shaw Mobi available around the city. If you are looking for recreational routes, the Stanley Park Seawall, Sunset Beach to False Creek, and the Central Valley Greenway to New West are the top choices! If you are looking to incorporate more activity if your daily life, Spring/Summer is an ideal time to start commuting by bike!
3. Hiking! If you want to be rewarded with breathtaking views at the end of your workout, try one of these fabulous day hikes close to Vancouver! Guaranteed great workout and great photo ops!
○ Garibaldi Lake (3-4 hour )
○ The Stawamus Chief (3-5 hours)
○ Quarry Rock (1 hour)
○ Mount Seymour (5 hours)
4. Need fitness motivation? Sign up for an fitness-focused event! If an obstacle course or race seems out of your comfort zone, hire a personal trainer to ensure you have a dedicated plan for the weeks leading up to the event. Alternatively, join a team and start meeting for weekly workouts! Here are some of the most popular events in Vancouver and surrounding area:
○ Tough Mudder (Whistler)
○ The Redbull 400 (Whistler)
○ The BMO Marathon (Vancouver)
○ Grouse Grind Mountain Run (North Van)
5. Free Outdoor Yoga! Mat Collective offers FREE weekly yoga classes at Kits Beach, Main Street, Downtown and Granville Island! To compliment your outdoor running and biking, check out a outdoor Hatha, Flow, Power or Yin class. Rain or shine these classes run June-August every summer! All classes are drop in and completely free. Mat Collective also hosts special events and pop-up classes throughout the summer. Follow @matcollective on instagram to stay up to date!
6. Join a class or gym! Vancouver is filled with multiple boutique fitness studios offering different types of fitness and group classes. With so many options it can be hard to decide what style of fitness to commit to!
Join a gym, hire a personal trainer or try Class Pass! ClassPass gives you access to a variety of classes including Barre, CrossFit, TRX, Kettlebell, Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing and more. This is a great way to switch up your routine and try a new type of fitness.
TIP: Class Pass offers a 2 week free trial! classpass.com/vancouver
7. And more…! Check out these other popular Vancouver activities great for the individual or group!
○ Paddleboarding: Check out Kitsilano or Jericho Beach for lessons!
○ Rock Climbing: Check out Cliffhanger Climbing Gym or The Hive Bouldering Gym!
○ Indoor Volleyball: Check out 6pack Indoor Beach or join Urban Rec for outdoor games!
○ Community Sports: Check out Urban Rec for Beach Volleyball and Floor Hockey!